1.Each student will provide a brief cultural write-up relating to his/her representative country (chosen for Making Acquaintances: Doâ€™s and Donâ€™ts): (20 points)
- Historical background
- Communication styles (language, both verbal and non-verbal)
- Beliefs (religion, family, nature, etc.)
- Society structure (gender equality, role of children, family, ethnic groups, leaders, government, political ideologies, hierarchies)
VERY IMPORTANT â€“ your final score will greatly depend on this.
In the next sections, associations SHOULD be made with the value orientations addressed in the Values portion of this course:
- Human Nature (Universalism-Particularism, Good/Evil, High-Context/Low-Context, Uncertainty Avoidance)
- Relation to Nature (Subjugation, Harmony, Mastery, Inner-/Outer-Directed)
- Activity Orientation (Achievement/Ascription, Doing-Being-Being-Becoming)
- Human Relationships (Affectivity/Affective Neutrality, Instrumental/Expressive, Self (Individualistic)/Collective (Collateral)/Linear, Egalitarian/Hierarchical, Power Distance)
- Relation to Time (Past-Present-Future, Monochronic/Polychronic, Low-Context/High-Context
2. Each student will provide a list of â€˜Reasons for Codes of Cultural Behaviorâ€™ for tourists visiting his/her representative country. This list will explain to tourists why it is important that they follow each of the Doâ€™s and Donâ€™ts (that you listed in your Making Acquaintances: Doâ€™s and Donâ€™tâ€™s assignment), from the hostsâ€™ cultural (values of the culture) perspective, and should include the following: (40 points)
- Five major â€˜Doâ€™sâ€™ for tourists
- At least one appropriate value orientation of the culture for each â€˜Doâ€™ (20 points) (Describe in detail one distinct value orientation for each Do. Do not repeat value orientations for the items on the list of Dos.)
- Five major â€˜Donâ€™tsâ€™ for tourists
- At least one appropriate value orientation of the culture for each â€˜Donâ€™tâ€™ (20 points) (Describe in detail one distinct value orientation for each Donâ€™t. Do not repeat value orientations for the items on the list of Donâ€™tâ€™s.)
3. Each student will provide APA-style citations within the text whenever applicable and compile a list of APA-style references (reference page) for all resources used in his/her write-up (5 points).
4. On the â€˜Making Acquaintances Part 2â€™ discussion forum, each student will post his/her findings about the representative country in a thread by the due date.
5. Each student is required to read the findings of one other student and respond to the posting of the other student by identifying the following, on or before the response due date (10 points):
- One major cultural value commonality between his/her country and the other country (5 points)
- One major cultural value difference between his/her country and the other country (5 points)