Musical Borrowing and Sampling – Homage or Theft?
Many musical artists have reused the work of others. Some do so with permission, and some without. Should this be considered an homage, musical theft, or just an inability to be original?
- Find and embed a musical example of an artist who has borrowed or sampled another artist’s work.
- Embed the original work. Be sure to label each with the artist, title, and a description of what was borrowed or sampled.
- Was the borrowing legal or illegal?
- Why might an artist choose to use another artist’s music? Why do you think they did so in this specific case?
- What does this mean in terms of authenticity? Is music more or less authentic if it uses another artist’s work?
(200-300 Words is enough for this assignment)